Friday, May 21, 2010

Nature Walk

Yesterday was just so beautiful - the kind of day that makes you want to play hookie! I didn't play hookie, but I did take about 20 minutes and went for a mini-nature walk along the Myles Standish State Forest Healthy Heart Trail - which is right outside my office.

Check out these weird galls on this oak. I think they are the early stages of oak apple galls.

Saw quite a few of these blue damselflies flying around.
It's hard to see, but there's a Roufus Sided Towee in this pic - on the ground. If you click the picture to make it bigger, you'll get a better view.
A beautiful spring wildflower - the star flower. (Why didn't I take a picture of the pink lady slippers?)

This highbush blueberry was loaded with flowers. Gonna be good picking come late July!

And now for the reason I love this trail - the Red-Belly Turtles! I love these turtles! My camera is a crappy point-and-shoot (one day, some day, I shall get a REAL camera - I can't wait!) so you can't really see them in the pictures here. So you HAVE TO click on them to make them bigger and check out the Red-Bellies. They are HUGE! They kind of look like painted turtles, but they are 10 times as big.
Click to make bigger:

No comments: