Thursday, December 10, 2009

52 in 52

One of my New Year's resolution for January 1st, 2009 was to read more. Specifically, to read at least 52 books in the year of 2009 - one per week. I'm almost there. I'm at 48, with my 49th more than halfway read and my 50th about 1/3 read. My last few just need to be shorter books! I learned some interesting things with this project:
  • Reading makes me happy. If I'm not reading an enjoyable or interesting book, then my mood falls. I've always been this way, but for some reason I never realized it until this year.
  • I read way more non-fiction than I thought I did. I never thought of myself as a non-fiction reader, but when I look at the 48 books I've read this year, fifteen (or 1/3) of the books were non-fiction.
  • I have to finish a book once I start reading. The only book I didn't finish on this list was The School on Heart's Content Road by Carolyn Chute. It really, really sucked. I spent about a month trying to get into it but couldn't. It was the author, not the book, 'cause I tried another book of hers but didn't even get 1/10 of the way through (it's not on the list because I don't count that as a book I read).
  • I don't buy books. Well, I should say that I don't buy books at bookstores. I think the only book I payed full price for was Marley & Me. All the rest were hand-me-downs, loaners, purchased at a low price at yard sales or library book sales.
  • I have to be reading at least two books, usually three, at all times. Currently I've had three going: Taps (was reading last night before bed), The Golden Spruce (haven't read since last wee), and Kiffe Kiffe Tomorrow (which I just finished this morning).
  • I didn't count any books that I read for work. For example, right now I'm reading Winter Ecology to learn a bit more about how plants and animals survive the winter. This isn't reading for pleasure, so I don't include it.

No comments: